Maintaining a healthy complexion during the winter months requires some extra self care. Cold, windy weather and indoor heating often leave the skin feeling dry, dehydrated and sensitive.
To help you keep your skin nourished and protected throughout the chilly season our beauty therapists share their essential skincare tips.
- Hydrate from within: Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated, as the dry winter air tends to dehydrate the skin.
- Moisturise regularly: Invest in a hydrating moisturiser that suits your skin type. Apply it immediately after washing your face or taking a shower to seal in moisture. Look for ingredients like; comfrey, jojoba, rosehip and lanolin which help to retain the natural chemical composition of the skin.
- Use a gentle cleanser: Opt for a fragrance and soap free cleanser that won’t strip away the skin’s natural oils. Avoid hot water, as it can further dry out your skin. Stick to lukewarm water while washing your face.
- Exfoliate gently: Regular exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and allows better absorption of moisturisers. In the winter months we recommend using natural sugar scrubs. Don’t overdo it as this can lead to dryness and irritation.
- Protect from the elements: Cold winds can be harsh on the skin. Protect your face by wearing a scarf or a hat that covers your ears. Apply an organic, natural, zinc based sunscreen in the morning.
- Use a humidifier: Indoor heating systems can create dry air, which can further dehydrate skin. Consider using a humidifier to add moisture back into the air and keep skin hydrated.
- Protect your lips: The skin on your lips is delicate and prone to dryness and chapping during winter. Apply a lip balm rich in vitamin E to keep your lips moisturised and protected.
- Avoid humectants: If you live in a harsh, dry climate avoid products which contain humectants as they draw water from the nearest reservoir which can be your skin and therefore dehydrating.
By following these tips and adapting your routine to the needs of your skin, you can maintain a healthy complexion and keep your skin glowing throughout the winter season. Alternatively, you can book into our spa and enjoy a facial while you are at Billabong Retreat. We offer both Day Retreat and over night Retreat Programs.